Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Great Shortcut for Finding Words on a Page

Today I thought I'd share a quick tip I picked up a few months ago. If you know this already, my apologies!

If you're anything like me, you frequently search for specific words on a page. I do this all the time in Microsoft Word and also on web pages.

I generally think of myself as quite computer-savvy, but one thing I'd never really appreciated before is how useful the keyboard shortcut Ctrl+F is (for those who may not know, this instruction means pressing the Control key and the F key at the same time).

This beauty of this command is that it brings up a text search box in a wide range of programs. It works just as well in Word or in Firefox or other browsers. Since I discovered this, I've been using it all the time. OK, it may only save a moment compared with clicking on Find or Search in the relevant menu, but those moments definitely add up!

I also discovered a Firefox add-on called FindList which adds to the usefulness of Ctrl+F. It adds a list of up to 50 of your previous searches, allowing you to access them again at any time from a drop-down menu. Here's how it looks in practice...

 id=

I hope you find this tip (and the FindList add-on if you use Firefox) helpful.

Dare I mention it, I also use Ctrl+C (Copy) and Ctrl+V (paste) a lot, and find them great time-savers as well!


No comments:

Post a Comment